- Was rummaging in my office space for something not at all printer related. Discovered I have a set of colored inks.… https://t.co/muOd0w027l 01:59:09
- Will be picking up black ink at Target today. It’s great I now know how and where to get things printed, there is u… https://t.co/sG0eeFWEQ0 12:37:08
- RT @AOC: ICE will launch raids across 10 major cities this SUNDAY.
Check your neighbors & know your rights.
Remember: no one can enter yo… 12:41:37
- Thank the heavens, it appears Twitter is working again. Now I can proceed to complain about the printer not printin… https://t.co/lmb1Q23VUH 14:53:30
- I am going to start day drinking, and it’s all my printer's fault. 14:59:44
- I have now achieved peak printer irritation. I hate the printer, and I want to throw it in the trash. 15:58:39
- RT @JYSexton: The "Social Media Summit" was a war council to rally trolls and conspiracy theorists for Trump's 2020 bid and prepare them to… 17:02:50
- Today has sucked. I’m going to start drinking now. 17:05:57
- I am a clever monkey. I have printed the medical forms which need filling out. No, the printer is still not printin… https://t.co/blE1x3YbUo 18:42:41
- I now hate my broken printer for making me sit at my desk in front of my antique computer and do things. I can neve… https://t.co/j3S0nM7IHP 18:50:36
- Ok, I’m gonna stop griping about my broken printer now, because at least my bad day did not include encountering a… https://t.co/DNYXNBbhnI 19:15:05
- My plan for tonight is to make and eat dinner, watch the last episode of #StrangerThings, have a nice long shower,… https://t.co/T0wKlJILOh 19:16:59
- Alright, I’m not getting to the shower, because I’m too tired for all that standing. I will probably not be staying… https://t.co/XpVPAYLbUu in reply to JustOrb 23:52:51
- Worth reading… https://t.co/hUeX5SbYm8 02:22:44
- RT @cbsaustin: Even police horses need to cool off! 🐴
- RT @RepLloydDoggett: This shocks the conscience.
We will not stop working to restrain these human rights abuses—which the Trump Administra… 11:43:16
- I’m busy gathering citations, charts, and such for an argument and am posting the links on my blog, so anyone else… https://t.co/J2my6uOYth 12:30:45
- RT @TexasTribune: The United Nations high commissioner for human rights said on Monday she is “appalled by the conditions” being forced upo… 13:33:14
- I’ll give you a hint … it was Russia. https://t.co/yPue2jAxAS 14:46:44
- This is just a regular reminder that just because someone seems to agree with you politically does not mean they ar… https://t.co/8uWhGeNNU7 15:16:19
- The air conditioning seems to be having a hard time keeping the outdoor heat outdoors. It’s really, really hot today. 15:52:22
- RT @cbsaustin: The teens covered their faces during the hate crime, but didn’t realize their cellphones automatically connected to the scho… 17:27:35
- RT @AwwwwCats: Just.. a little further https://t.co/LjFIXUOi6J 17:29:42
- Absolutely nothing good will come of a Trump Admin commission defining what unalienable rights are. https://t.co/tAx2DdufHr 18:34:16
- Where do people get things printed if they don’t have a printer? 19:05:26
- Redid that field scene on the other paper today. Not as happy with it this time, but I do sort of like this paper b… https://t.co/rXFeohk10j 19:16:16
- Guess I’ll pull the trash bin to the curb while I still have it in me to get anything done. I really just want to e… https://t.co/b3jODZRuS0 19:31:36
- 1. It’s wrong to body shame anyone, ever.
2. It’s unhealthy to maintain a "ripped" state indefinitely.
3. What the… https://t.co/fQ6MBetdjl 19:42:57
- A fly got into the house when I took the trash out. It is driving me insane. Also, it’s a fast mover. I’m never goi… https://t.co/PQEanGWgBo 19:44:51
A recent topic of study for me has been how the art world has always been and continues to be a man’s world. Mostly white men at that. I’m preparing for a very large argument I feel needs to be had, so I’m gathering my sources and increasing my knowledge base. Thought I’d amass some links and pull quotes here, where I can easily find them and other people can read them if they feel so inclined (and you probably should read them).
We find that paintings by female artists sell at a discount of 42.1 percent. So on average, a painting by a woman will sell for much less than a painting by a man.
What Adams and her colleagues find is that affluent people who visit art galleries, especially men, rate art as less compelling when it is said to be painted by a woman.
Art by women makes up only 3-5% of the major permanent collections in the U.S. and Europe, even though women earn half of the Master of Fine Arts degrees granted in the U.S. In New York City’s art galleries, 88% of the American artists are white.
Since white, straight, cisgender men get to occupy museum spaces, they also get to dictate how the bodies and experiences of marginalized groups like women and people of color are represented. For instance, judging from Greek and Roman nude female sculptures, vaginas simply didn’t exist during that time period. All of these sculptures of female bodies have “genitals” that look absolutely nothing like real human vaginas; between their legs, there is simply a hairless, smooth triangle with no indication of a vulva, pubic hair, or protruding labia. On the other hand, penises are documented in great detail on the male nude sculptures.
From the 16th-19th centuries, women were denied access to the classical training needed to become esteemed artists. During this time period, studying nude models was considered “too inappropriate” for women, so female artists were forced to create only the kinds of paintings that were considered less valuable at the time like portraits, landscapes, and still lifes. History has also devalued traditionally feminine art such as quilting, embroidery, needlework, and china painting because of their “domestic” natures, yet it assigns great value to traditionally masculine forms of art like paintings and sculptures.
The other issue at the root of this problem is that the people in power who get to decide what art and artists are valuable are also predominantly white, straight, cisgender men.
The under-representation of women, ethnic minorities and disabled people in executive positions is just one small symptom of an industry dominated by white, European men. Female artists are almost entirely absent from historic art collections; their work goes for much less commercially and they are still massively underrepresented in contemporary art institutions.
It is important to understand the impact this bias has had on the art world. These galleries, with outposts across America and Asia, are global tastemakers; championing artists, funding their work and introducing them to the world’s wealthiest collectors. It is still the case that the art that we consider to be the most valuable, in monetary but also cultural terms, is almost all by men. It is the reason that the museums in the world considered to have the greatest and strongest collections are the ones that boast works by Turner, Matisse, Van Gogh and Picasso, Pollock, Rothko, Koons, Hirst and Hockney. That a female equivalent for each of these artists doesn’t roll off the tongue says it all.
Commercial galleries showing 40% female artists and state museums showing 34% female artists in 2014 tell a different story – one where commerce, history and taste are more traditional and hierarchical. The closer an artist gets to money, prestige and power the more likely they are to be male. These results are not surprising as they mirror those in almost all other areas of creative production as well as in almost all spheres of power and influence.
In the first experiment, we find that participants who are male, affluent and who visit art galleries have a lower appreciation of works they associate with female artists. In the second experiment, we find that affluent participants have a lower appreciation of works we associated with a female artist’s name, particularly when they visit art galleries. Since affluent males who visit art galleries are most likely to represent the typical bidder in an art auction, we believe the evidence is consistent with the idea that “Women’s art sells for less because it is made by women”.
As artist and professor Joan Semmel put it: ‘…if there are no great celebrated women artists, that’s because the powers that be have not been celebrating them, but not because they are not there.’
Here’s a collection of statistics and links from the National Museum of Women in the Arts, that I don’t have time to dig through right now.
And in closing, a study from Texas State University’s Journal of Research on Women and Gender: Still A Man’s World: The Gendered Experiences of Women Artists.
Probably not all the data I will need to gather, so expect more posts full of links about gender equality in the arts.
- I’m sitting in the living room, providing my husband in the office an accounting of my feelings about the news toda… https://t.co/Kn5ErP3Kk7 01:29:54
- RT @fattieart: Looking for #BetaReaders for my book "Pre-Existing Conditions"
"Members of a chronic illness support group become vigilant… 01:30:31
- Asleep. The husband is asleep at his desk. I should probably poke him to get him to move to the bed, but I’m gonna… https://t.co/SdQxgCXekt in reply to JustOrb 01:33:02
- Playing a little bit before toddling off to bed. ☺️ https://t.co/FDqrT8aM77 01:58:57
- Orb 2020: Home Soon? https://t.co/1zioH5GfC5 02:06:55
- RT @TexasMonthly: .@dansolomon: Licking ice cream at the store is gross and should never happen. But it is strange that the teen who did it… 11:01:12
- RT @cbsaustin: WOW! Check out this bolt of lightning striking a transformer near 183 and Duval during last night's CRAZY storms! #CBSAustin… 11:02:01
- Today's afternoon art session is going to be all about mixing colors. I expect no actual art will be created, but you never know. 14:44:27
- The way pthalo blue (and green) dyes everything it touches was easy to ignore in acrylics, but I find it unacceptab… https://t.co/mOMEfNqJZn in reply to JustOrb 15:29:25
- My white gel pen is dried up. My life is over. 16:19:17
- RT @drafthouse: Hey Austin, we were able to add a new MIDSOMMAR screening w/Q&A with Writer/Director @AriAster for this Thursday (7/11) at… 16:43:56
- Thanks for the warning! Guess I’ll be avoiding anything east of my house this weekend again. https://t.co/nTauXWBkt1 17:38:54
- Twice in the last few days, I have had cause to open a tube of acrylic paint after months of not having done so. Th… https://t.co/ftDrnYLOcY 18:01:38
- The end result of my afternoon of paying close attention to pigments and how they interact with each other has lead… https://t.co/FlV3aNjFQ0 in reply to JustOrb 18:03:39
- Ok, another result of my playing around with paint this afternoon was this silliness. Makes me giggle, so I thought… https://t.co/FVdggmYdly 18:16:21
- Had planned to make meatloaf for dinner, but now that it’s time to start making it, I find I’m in the mood for chil… https://t.co/iSJua1QIRE 19:14:35
- I am going to have to childproof the plugs on mom's entertainment system. For who knows what reason, she unplugged… https://t.co/76wx8jz31a 19:49:13
- It’s sometimes hard to tell whether my elderly narcissistic parent is actually having a bad brain day, or if she’s… https://t.co/XMwUUTW0tv in reply to JustOrb 20:14:55
- Mom's cable box has finished rebooting, and all is well in her world. Until tomorrow, anyway. in reply to JustOrb 20:49:39
- We have two episodes of #StrangerThings to go. Very hard not to WATCH THEM RIGHT NOW. I do not know from whence thi… https://t.co/KHBn3OwFPa 23:35:09
- I'd like to apologize for cursing the person who selected the avocados last week for my grocery order. They probabl… https://t.co/4PKnmN9o5L 00:29:06
- It would be awesome if I wasn’t required to have the agility of a circus performer to get into my cat-infested recliner. 12:11:26
- My gods, it’s hot and awful outside today. If you need me, I’ll be indoors cranking the air conditioning. Possibly forever. 12:54:33
- Seriously? Another week of Late Show reruns?! I need fresh and new Colbert! Neeeeeed it! 14:03:16
- And of course, his lawyer is going for the mentally ill excuse. https://t.co/WKW3LdyNlv https://t.co/zRrPxwKwq7 15:49:23
- For some reason, even though I am doing all the Monday things, I thought today was Tuesday. 16:08:52
- So I did this today. I’m beginning to have opinions about particular pigments. I may recreate this on the other pap… https://t.co/CBPBf4CvER 16:47:39
- Looks like we'll be getting some rain pretty soon. It’ll be better than the heat we’ve got right now. Bring it. https://t.co/xtTFxGxTjI 17:11:11
- I would like to upgrade "getting some rain pretty soon" to "looks like all hell is about to break loose." Has gotte… https://t.co/1u5LB13izV in reply to JustOrb 17:51:25
- I will not be boycotting Home Depot because some ass who co-founded it a million years ago and is no longer with th… https://t.co/8IQVN77iHS 18:01:14
- I have fried okra. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. 😂 https://t.co/3HvmgzSx4g 19:35:59
- Sure hope there’s still some fried okra left by the time the hubby gets home for dinner. You know every time I go t… https://t.co/lozjmUsIIK 20:13:32
- RT @JamilSmith: Alex Acosta is Trump’s Secretary of Labor. He gave a child molester a sweetheart deal—and we’ve known this for a while. Why… 00:23:45
- RT @AwwwwCats: This cat found a foolproof method of avoiding their vet checkup. https://t.co/pGc92l7gJA 12:31:35
- I have decided I am done with ink markers. I will be returning to using bottled India ink and nibs. It’s just … better. 14:06:03
- I’m going to suggest to the husband that we should begin training for this event immediately. https://t.co/Z6J3t90fhL 14:37:37
- The grocery list is complete. Now to decide what to wear to the store and get the husband moving. 14:52:11
- I had a negative health event while grocery shopping, and my faith in humanity has been temporarily restored. There… https://t.co/yPLmvYB9tY 18:51:10